Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Sleeping safely

Who among us hasn’t crept in and leaned over the crib to see the rise and fall of the baby chest? This is a question that I read from an online article, and I myself often do this when Raysa was just newly born. The truth is … I still do this once or twice nowadays. Before I gave birth I heard a lot about SIDS or the terrifying Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, basically it’s a situation where a normal healthy baby suddenly died with no apparent reason. Obviously the horrifying statistics of babies died because of SIDS makes me disturbed even more. I received many advices and read a lot of article on how to put baby to sleep safely. From many of them, here are the basic …

1. Put your baby to sleep on her back.

I know that you supposed to put your baby to sleep on her back, but for the first couple of weeks I usually put Raysa on her side if she was sleeping while I sleep. I’m afraid that she’ll vomit and I couldn’t catch her on time. The point is not to let your baby sleep on her stomach without supervision. But according to the article, once the baby can roll over easily, you can actually let her choose her own sleep position. Alas, I’m still uneasy leaving Raysa to sleep on her stomach unattended whether she likes it or not.


2. Give your baby a smoke-free environment.

Ciggies smoke is a total no no for babies health!

3. Breastfeed your baby.
You may have heard it thousands of times but breast milk have many benefits and it’s the best milk nature can offer. Although Raysa have allergies (genetic that is!), she’s a v healthy baby thanks to the breast milk. BTW, I don’t breastfeed directly cause she’s such an impatient baby plus I’m back to work now.

4. Put your baby on firm mattress.
On the contrary to what we believe, babies are best put on a firm mattress without all the puffy accessories and stuffed toys. This to allow a proper air circulation around the baby’s face..

5. Avoid overheating your baby.
I have no problem at all with this, cause Raysa will starts to cry frantically if the weather is hot. The AC have to be on at all time when she’s sleeping but we set it at a 24 or 26 degrees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

iya mal naya juga gampang banget kringetan.. jd harus ac-an terus deh, anteng deh dia.. tp kl kedinginan nangis juga sih.. btw, kalo kringetan jadi ada kringetbuntet nya gitu (jerawat2 kecil), dipakein apa ya biar gak gitu lagi?