Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, November 27, 2006

Porridge for the soul

The rain was pouring down on Jakarta’s street today. Traffic was bad, the rain top off the normal rush hour jam and the construction works on most major streets made it even worst. I took a taxi to Setiabudi to meet R & my SIL for her b’day celebration dinner. Thank god the taxi driver knows his way around Jakarta.

The dinner was simple and nice, we had delicious porridge at Ta Wan. The place was not that big, it has the typical red and lantern Chinese restaurant decorative ambience, simple furnishing and bright lighting. The porridges were great, they have extensive choices that you can choose from. Don’t expect the usual Indo porridge here because the way the Chinese cook their porridge is very watery and sticky. I think they used starch to build up the texture of the porridge but this is only my wild guest. My choice of porridge for the day was duck porridge, the duck meat tasted yummy against the thin texture of the porridge. R had snapper porridge and this really taste good as well; the snapper kind of melted in your mouth along with the porridge cause the meat was really soft and juicy. No fishy smell detected as well.

Eating porridge reminds me of the nites in Melb with Sid. We usually head down to Ori for a late nite (or should I say early morning?) meal. It was usually almost 3 o’clock in the morning when we consume the century year old egg porridges with Chinese donut. It was especially good to eat it during the winter nite, it warmed up your belly and your freezing brain.

BTW Im wondering how’s Sid doin lately? I text him but so far there’s no reply. Im dyin to hear it from his own mouth about the wedding plan news! When, Where … let me know!

No comments: