Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Day 2 at the Java Jazz

I was planning to come a bit early yesterday, alas i only arrived there at 6.30 greeted by the Indonesian band singing Talkin Loud from Incognito, not bad! I met Ican there at the festival and he became my partner today hoping from one stage to the next.

First on the list was Daugthers of Soul feat. Lalah Hathaway, Nona Hendryx, Indira Khan. We arrived just in time when Chaka Khan give a surprise special performance with her daughter Indira Khan and after that was Ms. Bootilicious Nona Hendryx. They’re great and sound really soulful but just not my cup of tea.

Next, we moved to Harvey Mason Trio feat. Ron Carter with special guest star Eldar. The trio was playing drum, cello and piano in a very instrumentalist jazz ever that you can imagine. They’re all great playin their thing, but a jazz piano sounds very horror-y movie feelin and kinda gives me the creep. But that does not disregard the fact that they’re great so I still gives them a thumbs up.

Finally, 30 minutes late and a long queue later I finally got to see John Scofield again. He's the guy that I’ve been wanting to see all day cause yesterday I only got to see abit of him. Like I said yesterday he sounds exactly like Purple Emerald after hours when the band just finished and people are relaxing with their coffee. I love love the sounds of the beautiful John Scofield guitar playin against the very futuristic computer sound and the beat from the drum, bass and the rhythm guitar. This probably how Linkin Park would sound like if they decided to move to the Jazz genre and added a great Guitar player. One of the song which he played after the “Where’s Coco” song feels like very tropical and tasted like Pina Colada. Ok it may sound weird that I associated musical feelin with a beverage, but its true! That’s exactly how I felt! There’s one song where the rhythm guitarist was playing a weird musical instrument named Game Boy, yeap that’s rite the game console and it was the old one – fyi, it sounds really cool and fun.

If I have to compare it this whole John Scofield experience, it is comparable to all of my Clarity Nite at Centro. Where the band members were playin their instruments at their peek feels like when the DJ were spinnin real hard and the vision impairing reflections from the disco ball were flashing all over the room and when the DJ was starting to chill and make the audience relaxed feels like when the band members plays solo and the computer sound starts to take over. And the coolness vibe from the drummer is also comparable to that coolness vibe from the oh-so-cute Chinese DJ (which I forgot his name) spinning. Its all about the nodding, the rise and fall of the shoulder as he hit the drum with the sticks and the tapping foot, it’s all oh-so-cool! The slightly lopsided hat and the oversized headphone have the same cool effect as the Nicole Ritchie’s side swept bang and oversized shades. But in reality, the drummer is not that good lookin, all the coolness is just in your head really!

I also had the chance to see Gino Vanelli playin in the Plennary Hall but he too nut my cup of tea. But Diane Schuur is surely my cup of tea in a Count Basie-ish way. She’s an excellent piano player and vocalist. She’s comparing her high-pitch out of breath singing experienced the same as after the sex experienced. I hadn’t got the chance to watch David Benoit yet cause yesterday the venue was so packed. So we moved to Marcus Miller instead, he’s a great bassist but its just that. The whole package doesn’t sound as good as John Scofield.

That’s it from now, I’ll be off to another day at the Java Jazz Festival.

No comments: