Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

You know what? I think it took some serious talent to be able to translate from one language to another, from instance from English to Indonesia or vice versa. Being an Indonesian that speaks fluent English doesn’t make an instant English-Indonesian translator. Seriously! Even my besties that speaks English v fluently and have a perfect grammar still insist that translating is the most challenging task ever. Even when practice makes your skill perfect but she still believes that if you don’t have the needed talent you ain’t gonna nail it!

In a way you have to split your brain into two sections, one of them would be the English-Indonesian section and the other would be the Indonesian-English section. Each word will have a representation for one another. You cannot think that they’re two separate entities. Seriously! It’s hard!

Like yesterday when I have to translate sumtin and I came across the word livelihood, and I was thinking really hard till my brain sweating to find the Indonesian word … in the end I just couldn’t find the perfect word although being an English word themselves I already grasp the meaning of livelihood.

No comments: